Thursday, February 25, 2010

Bare Escentuals Prime Time

Being that I have oily / combo skin, foundation primer is an absolute must have. Granted, I didn't know this until a few years ago. It certainly stopped the issue I've always had with makeup and the "gone by 3pm" syndrome. The very first primer I tried was Bare Escentuals Prime Time in the original formula. It now comes in an Oil Free formula as well - I'll tell you about both products.


bareMinerals Prime Time Foundation Primer 1 oz.Original Prime Time is a nice slippery primer meant to put a barrier between your skin / moisturizer / oil and your foundation. It's a silicone primer with Vitamins C and E, and just slides right over your skin. I like this because it doesn't disturb my tinted moisturizer. It makes a nice smooth matte surface for applying your minerals or whatever other foundation you like. I've found it lasts probably 5-6 hours on my oily skin without touch ups. Even then, I just blot and do a quick dusting of powder to look great again. Overall, this is a pretty good primer comparable to Smashbox's Photofinish in both ingredients and behavior on my skin. If you are more of a combo to dry skin person, you won't experience the breakthrough oil that I see mid-day. This also hides some of that dry skin flakiness you see by smoothing the skin's surface (which I like especially in the winter).

Bare Escentuals Prime Time foundation primer oil controlThe Oil Control version is a different story. It does not contain silicone, but is water based with Witch Hazel and glycerine. I really don't like this formula at all, it's too wet and messes with my tinted moisturizer during application. It also "tingled" a bit, which is clearly related to the Witch Hazel (which I don't really like much - my skin has always seemed sensitive to it). I also found that when I applied my minerals they seemed shiny when used over top this primer. Not a look an oily skinned girl appreciates. There are many people who really like this version of the product - but not me. So while I'm not impressed with this version, it might be worth trying a sample if you are super oily and not looking for application over tinted moisturizer. Otherwise, I give this version a no-go.

I don't mind silicone in my primer - some people are very sensitive to it. So if you know it's a problem, you might like the Oil Control version. I am in the other party who doesn't like Witch Hazel and does like silicone - so the regular formula is my choice.

Both products are priced at $21 and can be purchased in the Bare Escentuals Boutiques, Sephora, Ulta, Nordstrom and Amazon.com among other retailers.

I purchased this product.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts with Thumbnails

DHC

Clear up blemishes with Acne Clear Solution’s specially formulated salicylic acid products

Ouidad

Iron Clothes Not Curls

AHAVA

AHAVA's NEW Mineral Botanic Body Wash and Lotion Duos
 
Related Posts with Thumbnails