Thursday, February 9, 2012

Awesome Drug Store Products - Part 2 - The Foundations

These are the Foundations / Tinted Moisturizers from my awesome Drug Store Haul:

Foundations / Tinted Moisturizer:
Neutrogena Mineral Sheers Loose Powder Foundation
Neutrogena Healthy Skin Glow Sheers Moisturizer
Neutrogena Healthy Skin Enhancer Moisturizer (Linked to my previous review)
Revlon New Complexion Compact Foundation
Revlon Color Stay Mineral Mousse Foundation (unfortunately soon to be discontinued)

Primer:
L'Oreal Magic Perfecting Base

Powder:
L'Oreal True Match Super Blendable Powder

I'll start with the Primer:
L'Oreal Magic Perfecting Base is a nice sheer base for your foundation. I tried it both after applying tinted moisturizer and without using tinted moisturizer. I like the formula, it's a little thicker than most - but goes on easily and sheer. I don't like the jar, I keep getting gunk in my nails from sticking my finger in the jar. If this was a tube container, I would like this product much more. However, the product itself works very well at controlling oil throughout the day and my makeup stayed put.
So I will give this an A- on my grading scale. Great product, poor delivery.

Now for the Tinted Moisturizers:
You already know how much I LOVE the Neutrogena Healthy Skin Enhancer, and if you don't - please read up on it's awesomeness here.

Neutrogena Healthy Skin Glow Sheers Moisturizer is a completely different product. Very nice sheer coverage, great anti-oxidants, and a good color range. However, I found this to be targeted toward Normal to Dry skin. So it complements it's counterpart well as the Skin Enhancer is targeted toward Normal to Oily skin. If you plan on using this with a mineral foundation go for it. It worked very well with the Glow Sheers mineral foundation and the Bare Escentuals I love so much. It became very shiny by the end of the day with my oily skin, but I doubt that would be a problem for drier skins. 
I give this an A for dry skin and a B- for combo / oily. Great moisturizer and sheer coverage, but not awesome for oily skin. Go with the Healthy Skin Enhancer for combo / oily skins.


Everyone loves foundation? Well, you might love one of these:
Neutrogena Mineral Sheers Loose Powder Foundation has been repackaged from the old brush / container to an actual jar with separate brush included. The product has very sheer coverage, but very build-able and when combined with a tinted moisturizer had a nice medium coverage. The included brush is dreadful, and I used mine once and tossed it. I highly recommend a nice fluffy kabuki brush for application (budget options available at your local Target in the Eco-tools and Sonia Kashuk lines). I was not terribly impressed with it's staying power even with a primer, and I had to re-apply around lunch time.
I give this a B. Nice coverage and shades, but fades on oily skin.

Revlon New Complexion Compact Foundation is just plain awesome. I used compact foundation for years before Bare Escentuals (I'm talking 15 or so years here...) and always found they disappeared or clogged pores or just generally didn't cover as well as liquids. But since I like fast application and a very light texture, I generally still went with any number of the compact foundations available. 
The coverage is Medium and can easily be built up to Full with a dry sponge application. I apply with a slightly damp sponge as this makes it easier to blend. The color range is excellent, and it has some serious staying power. I would recommend a moisturizer underneath if you have drier skin. This is going to find a permanent home in my makeup routines (Think quick Saturday application when heading out and about).
This awesome foundation gets an A+. Did I mention it feels very light on the skin?

Revlon Color Stay Mineral Mousse Foundation will unfortunately be unavailable shortly. It's being discontinued and I really don't know why, because it's really nice liquid foundation. So if you like liquids and have a local Ulta that still has a tube or 2 of this, give it a try. Very light on the skin, though application was a bit tricky. I used my fingers and got a nice full coverage, but had to work very quickly as it dried fast. Probably would have been better off with a damp sponge, but I didn't have one available. Coverage stayed all day and didn't really get shiny at all.
This gets an A- and a totally depressing "discontinued" disclaimer. 

Since the one liquid foundation I tried is being "discontinued", I thought I should at least provide some information on another liquid to try. I looked up on Beautypedia.com under the Best Products another liquid foundation with Sunscreen (please people, make sure you get your SPF!). I found that L'Oreal True Match Super Blendable Makeup SPF 17 Sunscreen
is a great option for Normal to Oily skins, and when used with moisturizer is also great for drier skin. So if you are a liquid foundation fan, this might be great option for you.


Last - the Powder:
L'Oreal True Match Super Blendable Powder turns out to be really great powder. I will in fact be stashing this in my purse since my portable powder cracked about a month ago. Very sheer and does not appear white on the skin, this powder controlled oil for about 1/2 the day (depending on the foundation under it) and has a great range of shades. It came with a sponge applicator which I tried and immediately discarded. Go with a nice fluffy powder brush for application.
Solid performer gets an A.



Overall, I really liked the products I tried. I like knowing there are some excellent options for the budget at our local drugstores. I'll let you know about the other products in the next post.


Nothing to disclose, all of these products were purchased by me and for me at my local stores.

1 comment:

  1. It's been a while since i used them and until now I never switched to other products.


    resveratrol

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts with Thumbnails

DHC

Clear up blemishes with Acne Clear Solution’s specially formulated salicylic acid products

Ouidad

Iron Clothes Not Curls

AHAVA

AHAVA's NEW Mineral Botanic Body Wash and Lotion Duos
 
Related Posts with Thumbnails